The Fluid Piano
If you can imagine an acoustic piano with no tuning restrictions, a truly international instrument that is not limited to one particular cultural tuning and offers an immense diversity of scales and modes from all around the world, as well as individual ‘bespoke’ tunings: a piano that even gives you the freedom to alter the tuning whilst playing - or simply to remain in standard ‘western’ tuning (twelve note equal temperament) should you wish - then you are half way to imagining The Fluid Piano.
Each Fluid Piano is handcrafted in the UK for every customer.
The Fluid Piano incorporates patented Microtonal Fluid Tuning mechanisms that enable musicians to alter each note individually and separately by precise Microtonal intervals per note before or during performance.
So after hundreds of years the piano has been liberated from the restrictions of being limited to ‘western’ tuning, to make The Fluid Piano the first 'multicultural’ piano. All around the world, everywhere, musicians and composers have longed to perform and compose music on the piano using the tunings of their own national cultures. Until now that has been an impractical dream. Now The Fluid Piano is here.
The Fluid Piano is ideal for all styles of music because of the freedom of expression that it offers to musicians of all cultures.
The Fluid Piano is also invaluable for songwriting and for being able to interact with, and respond to, vocalists in much more detail than was possible with a standard piano. It is also ideal for improvisation, contemporary classical composition, experimental tuning and for exploring the full range of historical tuning temperaments.
Furthermore, The Fluid Piano is a crucial educational resource for enabling and supporting the conservation and continued use of endangered and marginalised cultural tunings in composition and performance around the world.
The creative freedom and massive expansion in artistic choices, expression and dynamic capabilities that The Fluid Piano offers musicians from all cultures is exciting, empowering and liberating.
- Fluid Tuning is made possible by the fact that the Fluid Piano has lower string tension than a standard piano. The lower string tension not only makes possible the application of Fluid Tuning but also enables the wider range of dynamics & creative effects that are specified below.
- Microtonal Fluid Tuning is available on each note of The Fluid Piano.
- Fluid Tuning mechanisms operate separately and independently on each note and incorporate a 'user friendly’ handle, which is used to slide each mechanism to change the tuning.
- The initial central ‘default’ position of each Fluid Tuning mechanism, in order to provide equal temperament (i.e. ‘western tuning’ as on the standard piano), will provide up to a semitone interval change in either direction (e.g. ‘C’ can be tuned down to ‘B’ or up to ‘C sharp’) or any microtonal interval of less than a semitone in either direction (flat or sharp). Therefore, the maximum possible interval change per mechanism is a whole tone.
- The range of The Fluid Piano is 5 octaves plus a major 3rd: from F1 to A6 (Middle C is C4).
- When the Fluid Tuning mechanisms are used, they also create a 'Fluid timbre' for each note. This further enhances the dynamic parameters of each note and the character of each 'bespoke' tuning.
- The sliding action of each Fluid Tuning mechanism can also be used as an effect.
- The strings of each note can also be bent by the musician’s finger to create an additional distinctive effect.
- The Fluid Piano action repeats with significantly more speed than the standard action of pianos with fixed tuning.
- The hammer-heads of The Fluid Piano can be individually changed to produce a different sound.
- The downward bearing pressure of each Fluid Tuning mechanism can be adjusted to regulate the action of each mechanism and also to create an additional distinctive effect if desired.
- The Fluid Piano incorporates three pedals: two are sustain pedals, which can be used separately, or simultaneously using one foot. The sustain pedals separate at middle C. The third pedal is a ‘moderator' which provides a softer sound.
- The Fluid Piano is constructed using a combination of woods, which include spruce, maple, oak, rosewood, pear, birch, ash, sycamore, beech and pine.
- Each Fluid Piano is hand-crafted and is available in a range of finishes to your specified requirements.
- Dimensions of The Fluid Piano: Length: 243cm (95.7 inches) Width: 104.5cm (41.1 inches).
- Weight of The Fluid Piano: 220kg.
The Fluid Piano album by Utsav Lal
I am very happy that Utsav Lal was the first musician to record an album on my invention.
When the Fluid Piano was purely an idea, I imagined that one day a project like this would eventually happen when the invention became a physical reality. This is a historic recording. It is also the first in a series of albums featuring a range of artists that will be released on Fluid Piano Recordings.
Utsav Lal is one of the most talented Indian musicians of his generation. He has shown a profound creative vision and also courage in the way he has embraced working with the Fluid Piano. Utsav is not only passionately committed to maintaining and exploring the traditions of Hindustani classical music, he is also an innovator as this album clearly demonstrates.
The album comprises four compositions: Raga Todi, Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram, Raga Bageshri and Panihari (Water Lady). The duration of the album is seventy six minutes.
A free high quality twenty page booklet about the story of the Fluid Piano and the Utsav Lal project, which includes six photographs, is available to download here - Free Booklet download
The CD of the album can be purchased exclusively on this website in the store.
The CD includes the twenty page booklet mentioned above.
The Videos page also features high quality films of Utsav Lal recording the tracks in the studio.
For enquiries about about ordering a Fluid Piano or for general enquiries as well as enquiries relating to artistic collaborations or requests to give seminars and lectures about the invention: please get in contact via email@example.com or via the contact page on this website.
I hope very much that you enjoy and are inspired by the Fluid Piano album by Utsav Lal, as well as by the range of artists performing on the Fluid Piano in the films on the 'Videos' page.
Inventor of the Fluid Piano